Friday, November 26, 2010

America By Heart… Blogging the Book - mudflats

America By Heart… Blogging the Book

http://www.themudflats.net/2010/11/25/america-by-heart-blogging-the-book/

I found something for you to be thankful for, right off the bat today. You can be thankful that you are smarter than me, and that you didn’t buy Sarah Palin’s newest book.

A while back I promised to blog the new book, like I did with Going Rogue. I have to tell you though, that at the time I expected it to be a book that went something like, “I really like this quote from George Washington because he’s my favorite founding father, bla bla bla.” Instead, we’ve got Going Rogue, the Sequel. From what I can tell it’s not going to be a cakewalk, but I did promise, and I intend to make good. At least it is smaller and thinner.

I purchased the book today at my local Carr’s grocery store. I was there, just like everyone else in Anchorage, buying some last minute things for Thanksgiving dinner, and I saw it there at the checkout. It had actually come out the day before, but I was procrastinating. Now I had no excuse… I quickly looked around and grabbed one, turning it upside down on the conveyor belt and hiding it under a bag of candied pecans. I felt like I was buying Preparation H, tampons, condoms, and Monistat all at the same time. Throw in some of that warming lubricant while we’re at it. All I wanted to do was tell my checkout guy, “I swear it’s not for me! OK, it is for me but I’m not going to like it!”

But knowing that it would require too much explanation and that he probably wouldn’t believe me anyway, I stayed silent and uncomfortable. It may have been my imagination, but I do believe he did a little tiny double take when he turned the book over and saw what it was.

I dashed out of the store like I’d committed a crime, and tossed the book in the back seat. So now, here it is on my desk, and her airbrushed self, bedecked in all sorts of sparkling flag jewelry, is staring at me.

I got none of the pleasure I usually do when I open a hardcover book for the first time and hear that little sound it makes.

Here’s the dedication:

For Trig.
I’m glad you’re here.

(Read: “I’m glad I didn’t have an abortion.” That didn’t take long…)

And our first founding father quote:

“If there must be trouble, let it be in my day,
that my child may have peace.”
~Thomas Paine, Founding Father

(Somehow, I have a feeling that we are about to enter a world of neither Common Sense nor Reason. Paine would probably not approve, but if he were here, he might stick up for the fact that common sense is TWO words)

Buckle up boys and girls, this might be a bumpy ride. I’m goin’ in…

See site for comments

Readers who viewed this page, also viewed: